Entries may be received as of December 1, 2016 and must be received in their entirety by
January 31, 2017
~Only the first 120 entries will be accepted~
The Catherine is open to:
- ALL unpublished writers (you do not have to be a member of RWA).
- Entrants who have not accepted a publishing offer for original fiction or self-published a work of original fiction on a platform where their work can be made commercially available before January 31, 2017. For example, entries appearing on Wattpad, in a newsletter or on social media are acceptable but work published on Amazon, or on other retail platforms, for free is not.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age at the time of entry.
Previously entered submissions may be entered again, but previous winning entries in any past contest sponsored by Toronto Romance Writers may not be entered again, even if revised; however, these authors may enter different manuscripts if they still meet the above criteria.
Previously entered submissions will be assigned new judges.
- Entries must be the first pages of a manuscript and may not exceed 30 pages or 7500 words including a synopsis.
- A synopsis is required and may not be longer than 5 pages.
- The manuscript and synopsis must be combined together into ONE document.
- Author’s name and any identifying information must NOT appear on the manuscript or synopsis or the entry will be disqualified.
- The file names of entries submitted should be formatted as:
Your Name_Title_ Category Entered.doc
For example: Jane Doe_Who Am I_Romantic Suspense.doc
- Entries must be in a .doc or Word 1993-2003
- Entries should be formatted according to the following guidelines:
- 8.5 x 11 inch page size (A4 accepted for entries from outside North America)
- 1-inch margins all around
- Double spaced or set at 25 lines per page
- 12 pt. Courier/Courier New or Times New Roman font
- Header information on every page should include category, title, and page number only
- No cover page
- Chapter Breaks follow standard manuscript format
Entrants may enter more than once. All entries must be entered on one form. Each entry requires a separate entry fee, to be paid at time of submission.
- Fee for non-TRW members is $30 USD
- Fee for TRW members is $25
If fewer than ten entries are received in an individual category, the category may be cancelled. If the category is cancelled, contestants will be notified and allowed to choose an alternate category or receive a full refund.
All decisions regarding entries or clarification of any rules will be made by the contest committee and the Toronto Romance Writers Board of Directors, and will be considered final.
No refunds will be issued for entries disqualified for not following the submission guidelines or otherwise violating the rules of the contest.
All changes to the contest will be posted on the Toronto Romance Writers website at http://torontoromancewriters.com/